Richmond Astronomical Society
761st Consecutive Meeting
February 12, 2013
Greetings – approximately 32 in attendance at the meeting.
Jim Browder called our meeting to order in the Eureka meeting room.
Announcements / Share Table
- Annual dues are due: This is the time of year when we ask our members to make sure their dues are paid for the upcoming year. Dues are $30 per year for regular membership, $10 additional for observatory operators. You can give your dues payment to our Treasurer, Jim Blowers, in person at a meeting or you can pay online with PayPal or by mail. Information on PayPal and mail payments is on the RAS web site under the “Membership/Dues Payment” link.
- Jim Blowers has astronomical maps to show path of Comet PanStarrs
- Books for Betty’s talk
- John Barnett brought in a new Orion dobsonian telescope that he recently got a good deal on. Facts: f’4, 100 mm lens diameter, approx 100x power, needs a Ploussel eyepiece. Through it he saw the Moon and a “glorious Pleiades”.
- JohnR is selling a rotating round table, large enough to hold a dob. By using a 12volt battery, it can be used to handle an hour of tracking.
- Prashant brought in a Photographic Moon Atlas, containing many amateur photos..
- Madhu stated that someone in Providence Forge is selling a 12-inch Meade LX90 (make an offer)
Virginia is starting to do inventory at the library. Everything is great at the RAC where the library is.
The books she brought in for perusal and checking out:
- How to Identify the Stars (1909)
- Ancient Life (1991)
- PBS Documentary: Seeing in the Dark (2002)
- Future of Space Time, by S. Hawkins
- Space Shots, with an introduction by Michael Collins
- The Elegant Universe